Series Editor: Shawn E. Klein, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org // email@example.com )
The Studies in Philosophy of Sport series from Lexington Books encourages scholars from all disciplines to inquire into the nature, importance, and qualities of sport and related activities. The series aims to encourage new voices and methods for the philosophic study of sport while also inspiring established scholars to consider new questions and approaches in this field.
The series encourages scholars new to the philosophy of sport to bring their expertise to this growing field. These new voices bring innovative methods and different questions to the standard issues in the philosophy of sport. Well-trodden topics in the literature will be reexamined with fresh takes and new questions and issues will be explored to advance the field beyond traditional positions.
- Jack Bowen, MA (Author & Blogger, Santa Clara University Institute for Sports Law and Ethics)
- Chad Carlson, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor of Kinesiology, Hope College)
- Colleen English, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor of Kinesiology, Penn State Berks)
- Shaine Henert, Ph.D. (Associate Professor and Academic Chair, Fitness, Wellness, and Sport, Rock Valley College)
- Michael Perry, Ph.D. (Associate Professor of English, Rockford University);
- Emily Ryall, Ph.D. (Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Gloucestershire)
The series publishes both monographs and edited volumes. The “philosophy of sport” should be construed broadly to include many different methodological approaches, historical traditions, and academic disciplines. I am especially interested in proposals from scholars new to the discipline of philosophy of sport (either because they are from a discipline other than philosophy or they are philosophers new to the study of sport). Click here for proposal guidelines.
Defining Sport: Conceptions and Borderlines, edited by Shawn E. Klein, Ph.D.
Golf as Meaning Play: A Philosophical Guide, by W. Thomas Schmid, Ph.D.
Surfing and the Philosophy of Sport, by Daniel Brennan, Ph.D. (Forthcoming 2021)