Thank you to everyone who submitted abstracts. The deadline has passed and I won’t be accepting any further abstracts for this proposal. But check back in the future for other opportunities.
Call for Papers: Book Chapters
- Working Title: “Defining Sport: Contemporary Explorations”
- Publisher: Proposal will be submitted to Lexington Books
- Editor: Shawn E. Klein, PhD; email@example.com
The focus of the book is to bring new scholarly attention to the issues and questions involved in defining and explaining the nature of sport. There are several classic works that treat these issues, but with the growth of the philosophy of sport a renewed focus on how to define and conceptualize sport is needed.
- Analyses of common approaches to defining sport (or related concepts such as competition or athlete) in the philosophy of sport literature. (E.g. Bernard Suits, essentialism, formalism, interpretivism, and externalism.)
- New approaches to defining sport (and related concepts).
- Examination of borderline cases (e.g. Motor Sports; Animal Sports, cyber-sports, fantasy sports)
- Analysis of problematic cases ( e.g violent/blood sports)
- Discussions of methodological differences between philosophy and other disciplines in terms of defining sport and related concepts.
- E.g. Are there differences between philosophical approaches and sociological approaches? How might these differences affect how sport is studied or discussed in these disciplines and across disciplines?
If you are interested in contributing a book chapter to this volume, please send a tentative title, a brief abstract for review (500 words) and C.V or short bio, to the book editor: Shawn E. Klein: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abstract deadline: July 11, 2014
- Notification of abstract acceptance by July 25, 2014 (Update 7/29: I am still working through abstracts, so don’t fret if you haven’t heard from me yet)
- Chapter Manuscript Deadline: December 12, 2014
- Length: 6000-10,000 words (inclusive of references and notes).
- Manuscripts should conform to Chicago style.