Apologies! Rockford College Radio is replaying Psychology of Mental Toughness show. You can still get the podcast for the Santayana show here right now: http://www.rockfordcollegeradio.com/the-sports-ethicist-santayana-on-the-value-of-sport/
George Santayana is one of the great American Philosophers and his essay “Philosophy on the Bleachers” he argues for the value of athletics for both participants and spectators. In this episode of The Sports Ethicist Show, Shawn Klein and Matt Flamm discuss Santayana’s essay and his ideas. Profs. Klein and Flamm cover a wide range of themes from the connection between athlete and spectator to role of the martial virtues in human life to the effect of industrial revolution on human existence.
- “Philosophy on the Bleachers” By George Santayana
- IEP: Santayana
- George Santayana at 150: International Interpretations co-edited and co-authored by Matthew C. Flamm
- Under Any Sky: Contemporary Readings of George Santayana co-edited and co-authored by Matthew C. Flamm
- Flamm, Matthew C. “Review of The Works of George Santayana Volume V: The Letters of George Santayana.” Online in Essays In Philosophy. Vol. 5, Issue 1, 2004:
- Overheard in Seville: Bulletin of the Santayana Society
Prof. Flamm’s articles in the Bulletin:
- No. 31, Fall 2013: “Review of George Santayana’s Philosophy of Religion”
- No. 27, Fall 2009: “Pragmatic Moralism and the Politicization of Philosophy”
- No. 25, Fall 2007: “Hegel as Alienist: Santayana, Absolute Idealism, and the Normal Madness of Materialism”
- No. 19, Fall 2001: “Is Santayana Tragic?”
Listen on Rockford College Radio (6pm Central):
http://www.rockfordcollegeradio.com/ (Click on the Listen Live button)
A podcast of the show will be available after the show airs.